Points of Interest
Marconi Station at National Seashore, Town Clock, Historical Society and Museum, Wellfleet Bay Wildlife Sanctuary, Samuel Rider House, Uncle Tim's bridge to Duck Creek conservation island off Commercial Street.
Wellfleet is uniquely characterized by its geography, culture and people. Located 75 miles out into the Atlantic Ocean, it's only 2 miles wide, with beautiful beaches on both the bay and Atlantic sides. Despite its narrow width, strangely enough, it's endowed with beautiful, clear spring-fed ponds, or kettle holes, which were created by glaciers several thousand years ago. Wellfleet Harbor is an actively changing panorama of fishing boats, yachts, trawlers, and, at low tide, flats of shellfish. Wellfleet has become the art center of Cape Cod, and boasts many galleries containing a wide variety of art and fine crafts. The Wellfleet Bay Wildlife Sanctuary offers first-class nature trips, cruises, walks, and instruction; the Cape Cod National Seashore encompasses the entire ocean side of the town. Due to the activity of the Harbor, you're sure to spot some textbook "Cape Cod characters" around town, who make an interesting contrast with the town's upscale restaurants, and are a sure sign you've landed on the Lower Cape.
Wellfleet (pop. 2,919), the name of which is thought to have come from "Whale Fleet", was incorporated June 16, 1763. Until that time it was a part of Eastham referred to as Billingsgate. Today it is know as the "Art Gallery Town", as well as the source of world-famous Wellfleet oysters.
- White Crest: Ocean View Drive off Cahoon Hollow Road off Route 6
- Cahoon Hollow: Cahoon Hollow Road off Route 6
- Mayo: Commercial Street off Route 6
- Duck Harbor: Duck Harbor Road off Chequesset Neck Road
- Powers Landing: off Chequesset Neck Road from Main Street off Route 6
- Newcomb Hollow: off Ocean View Drive from Gross Hill Road off Route 6
- Great Pond: off Cahoon Hollow Road off Rooute 6
- Long Pond: Long Pond Road off Route 6
- Gull Pond: Gull Pond Road off Route 6
- Chapel of Saint James the Fisherman, Route 6
- Wellfleet United Methodist Church, Main Street: 508-349-7217
- Grace Chapel Assembly of God, Corner Route 6 & Lt. Island Road: 508-349-9323
- First Congregational Church United Church of Christ, Main Street: 508-349-6877
- Our Lady of Lourdes, 355 Main Street: 508-349-2222
- Wellfleet Historical Society Museum, Main Street: 508-349-9157
- The Wellfleet Public Library, West Main Street
- The South Wellfleet Public Library, South Wellfleet Neighborhood Assoc. Building, Route 6
Cape Cod Town Menu